- All students can learn
- Every student is valued and unique
- A safe and caring environment is essential
- Learning is a lifelong process
- Student, home, community, and school have shared responsibilities for education
- Change is inevitable and we must be adaptable
- Students must become positive participants in the global society of tomorrow.
AURORA MIDDLE SCHOOL VISION
These are statements that present a clear picture of what we want our future to look like as developed by students, staff and parents through a visioning process:
- Have clear behavior expectations developed by staff, students, and parents which are shared with all stakeholders.
- Have consistent, fair, effective consequences for misbehavior.
- Students take responsibility for their own behavior and exhibit self control.
- Have a common language for rules and expectations used by all staff.
- Solutions to difficult decisions will be based on best practice. Decisions will be solution based with the best interest of all students considered.
- An environment where everyone treats each other with respect and dignity.
- Staff will model skills, behaviors and values expected of students.
- Through a solution focused approach, an environment will be created where students feel cared for and are guided through these middle school years.
- Develop a collaborative climate where teachers are given time to work in PLCs to address common, authentic assessment and viable curriculum and monitor student progress.
- Work collaboratively with teachers from JAWS and Central.
- Have clear learning expectations where we expect all students to learn. A pyramid of interventions will be designed to ensure struggling students receive support.
- Regular and consistent parent communication through PowerSchool Parent Portal, progress reports, phone calls and monthly newsletters.
- A variety of instructional strategies will be used so students will be engaged in the learning process.
- Programs will provide a variety of ways for students to express their talents.
- Staff will continue to learn and use best practice.
- Students take responsibility for their own education.
- Students, parents and staff will take responsibility for each child’s learning.
- Essential outcomes are established for each core subject at each grade level.
- Plan regular spirit building activities that increase student motivation and overall desire to be at school. Celebrate our successes.
- Parents feel comfortable, involved and valued.
- A strong school culture will be developed that will encourage school pride.
AURORA MIDDLE SCHOOL VALUES
These are statements of behaviors that we will demonstrate to achieve our vision. We will create a safe and caring environment by establishing behavioral rules and expectations with corresponding consequences.
- We will model skills and behaviors to express values that will promote all stakeholders to treat each other with respect.
- Using common language we will establish school wide core rules, routines and procedures.
- We will communicate appropriate information between administration, staff and parents regarding student interventions.
- We will empower students to makes choices that enable them to exhibit responsible behaviors and self-control.
- We will provide a pyramid of interventions for students to meet the behavioral expectations. We will use staff collaboration and research-based practice when making decisions.
- We will Collaborate with colleagues in Professional Learning Communities to:
- Develop common units and common assessments.
- Compare and share results of common assessment scores.
- Share best practice
- Program for those who are struggling as well as those who are excelling.
- We will communicate regularly to all stakeholders.
- We will develop a plan to include activities that will encourage school spirit and pride.
- We will celebrate our successes.
- We will encourage parent involvement in the life of the school.