Aurora Middle School prides itself on being a caring, respectful and safe school.
Students, parents and school authorities have responsibilities for ensuring welcoming, caring, respectful and safe learning environments that respect diversity and nurture a sense of belonging and a positive sense of self. Aurora has a Code-in-Action, which represented our beliefs that all students must BE RESPECTFUL, BE RESPONSIBLE, and BE SAFE. This Positive Behaviour Matrix is designed to support our board's Student Code of Conduct.
When students feel like they belong, it encourages them to stay in school to learn and succeed. In welcoming, caring, respectful, and safe learning environments, students, staff, families, and community partners treat each other fairly and kindly. They are environments where:
- healthy and respectful relationships are fostered
- students feel that adults care for them as a group and as individuals
- positive mental health is promoted
- values, rights, and responsibilities are respected
- support is demonstrated through collaboration, high expectations, mutual trust and caring
- diversity is respected, celebrated and understood as a strength
- expectations are clear, consistent, and regularly communicated
- consequences of unacceptable behavior take into account the students age, maturity, and individual circumstances
- support is provided for those impacted by inappropriate behaviour as well as for those who engage in inappropriate behaviors
- children, youth and adults model positive social-emotional skills